Saturday, August 15, 2009

El-dre(a)d.......Again

As Tiger closes in on his 15th. Major title, I am reminded that when he is is on his game, no golf god of any time could have beat him. Who, what, when or where, I don't care. Featherie, gutta percha, Hogan, Morris, spoon or brassie, I don't care. I am an old stubborn Jack fan. Tiger Woods started earlier, had better equipment, better teachers, no challengers. What about 1st's and 2nds. combined? It's just blah blah. I became a believer when the guy won a U.S. Open on one leg last year. That's impossible against the best players in the world, right? I call that one of the most unbelievable sports accomplishments (for overcoming injury or illness) in my elder memory. It goes with: #1 Lance Armstrong's first of seven straight Tour de France (the hardest competition in sports) victories in 1999, after overcoming advanced cancer. #3 Crippled Kirk Gibson's one-armed home run in a World Series game against one of the best pitchers in baseball. "I don't believe what I just saw!"..Jack Buck. #4 Michael Jordan's NBA Finals performance in 1997, when he could hardly walk or stand or see. He only got 38 against a decent Utah team.

Here's a couple of other Hall of Famer's besides Tigger who played with no wheels. Jack Youngblood played the 1980 NFL playoffs, Super Bowl, and even the Pro Bowl with a broken leg. Bob Gibson pitched to two batters and into a partial count on the third before his broken leg snapped in July, 1967. The leg had been broken earlier, due to a Roberto Clemente line drive laser.

Visit my website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment