Monday, September 21, 2009

Builders Who Tear Down Bogie Golfers

The most severe golf course architects (& assocs. is inferred) are the R. T. Jones's. I'll give the nod to Sr. over Jr. for the worstest. Unplayable eye-candy, says he. Then every once in a while I surprisingly find one to be playable. Why would they do that? Wimps! Sellouts! A close 3rd. place finish to railroader Pete Dye. Those three guys will definitely punish good shots. Two former Tour players who make courses for Tour players, Johnny Miller and Tom Weiskopf, tie for 4th. Beautiful, impossible stuff. Tied for 5th. in severity stats are "The Golden Bear", Tom Doak, Jim Engh, and the Coore/Crenshaw team. That group is playable on a good day. The following guys fall into the "fair" group (finally!): Arnold Palmer and Ken Dye. Who do I like? All of the above. I'm an idealist. And: Donald Ross, with postage stamp size greens. Unplayable, but I like his style. But I hate Pinehurst #2. I've only played one top-ranked Baxter Spann course, but I love it. He is challenging, aesthetically smooth, and fair.

Visit my web site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment